Friday, April 29, 2011

Mech-ic Mickey



I pitched this idea for a game to a couple of guys at work. I thought it'd be a great game to attract the people who are too cool for Disney, yet harbor a secret love for the mouse. The object of the game would be to pick a Disney character as your avatar and then slowly build up your mech, gladitorial combat being the purpose. Alas, it never made it out of my office.

On our honey moon, my wife and I noticed how appealing the Disney cruise ship looked compared to the Carnival ship that we were on. I find it interesting to see how the "Disney Aesthetic" gets applied to various objects and how it triggers feelings of familiarity and nostalgia.

So why not giant robots?

8 comments:

mister bil said...

hey Jason,
maybe I don't get it but the image is blank... black on your blog... white in reader... is it intentional?

Jason Kim said...

Whoops. Sorry dude, I think I was editing the post right when you checked it. It should be visible now.

Michael Mercer said...

negative. it's 5:48 and I can't see it. :(

Jason Kim said...

Ok there. Hope it works now. I feel like that was anti-climatic.

Jed said...

I can see it! This is a really dynamic sketch, Jason! I have trouble starting off on the right foot like this, with such a strong visual concept.

I'm inspired to try harder!

Jed said...

I think we need to revisit THE BRAVE LITTLE TAILOR - so many possibilities for gameplay there. :)

Tyson Murphy said...

reminds me of a "Marvel vs. Disney" fighting game idea I had. I was shunned for weeks.

i'd buy mech-ic mickey...

Jason Kim said...

Are you serious?? Marvel vs. Disney seems like a no-brainer to me. Or better yet, Marvel vs. Disney vs. Capcom.